Tree Contractor Information
Any person or company performing tree work for hire within City of Lakewood limits is required to possess a Tree Contractor’s license. Licensing is administered through the Parks Division.
Tips for Hiring a Tree Contractor
- Check with the Parks Division about the license status of the person or company
- Get more than one estimate
- Ask for a written proposal that lists all the work to be performed including clean-up and hauling away of the tree debris
- Beware of “door knockers” people who usually go door to door after storms as a way to earn quick money. They are typically non-professionals and not licensed. Most reputable tree companies have all the work they need without going door-to-door. Anyone can list themselves in a phone book or print flyers.
- Ask to see their proof of insurance coverage.
- Never be rushed by bargain prices or pay for tree work in advance. Common complaints received involve people who pre-pay for tree work and either the work is partially completed or never started. People who take money in advance rarely return phone calls.