Crime Victim Compensation
- You may be eligible for assistance if you have been a crime victim, are innocent of any wrongdoing in the incident and cooperate with the prosecution of the case.
- You must report the crime to the police within 72 hours of its occurrence and must cooperate fully.
- Victim Compensation requires an application process, and all applications are reviewed by the victim compensation board.
- Approved funds can be used to help replace doors, locks or windows damaged during a criminal incident, pay medical expenses or the cost of mental health counseling needed as a result of a criminal incident.
- Funds to compensate victims are collected from court fines and surcharges.
- Except under very unusual circumstances, you have up to one year from the date of the crime to file your claim.