THIS ARCHIVED SITE IS NO LONGER UPDATED. Get the latest City of Lakewood information at the new

Skip to main content

Traffic Tickets

E-Ticketing Motorcycle in Front of Accident Patrol Car at Night with Lights On
The Municipal Court is a court of record that hears traffic offenses of alleged city ordinance violations. A ticket is a legal notice to the violator that they have been accused of violating a traffic law. Some violators are required to sign traffic tickets at the time they are issued. Signing a ticket acknowledges receipt and the duty to appear in court and does not serve as an admission of guilt or agreement with the charge. Some traffic violations carry criminal penalties, which will be handled in accordance with the criminal court process. These charges include, but are not limited to, no proof of insurance, speed contest, reckless driving, careless driving, and speeding 25 mph or more.


Continuances must be requested in person, at the Violations Bureau counter 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, before the scheduled court date.

An arraignment may be continued one time for up to two weeks. Additional continuances, or continuances longer than two weeks, must be approved by a judge.

In the majority of cases, if you are under age 18, you need to appear with a parent or legal guardian. The parent of a juvenile may continue the case without the juvenile’s presence when identification is provided.

Attorneys requesting a continuance must file the appropriate motions with the court.

A waiver of the right to a speedy trial and an appearance before a judge may be required to continue a trial.

Contact Information:

Municipal Court
445 South Allison Parkway
Lakewood, CO 80226
Direct: 303-987-7400

Quick Links

view all


view all
What is a traffic infraction?
What are the possible penalties for a traffic infraction?
What is a traffic offense?
What are the possible penalties for a traffic offense?
May I come in before my scheduled traffic or animal court date?
What if I miss my court date?
What is a plea bargain?
Should I plea bargain or go to trial?
What options do I have if I am unable to pay my fine?
What forms of payment are accepted for paying fines?